Tricia Dishes

Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Wednesday, less than two weeks before Christmas


Well, here we are, smack dab in the middle of one of the busiest times of the year. Christmas is less than two weeks away. It is 80 degrees. And David has been gone for 10 days.
We are still getting stuff together around here, a massive search FINALLY came up with his van keys. There are clothes that have been washed that need to be donated or dispersed among family and friends. I have never gone this long without talking to him, in the 34 years that we have known each other. It is quite sad, that I can't pick up the phone and give him a call, just to let him know what is going on, and find out what's happening with him. I did open his cell phone last night to call one of his co-workers, but when I saw the list of his contacts in there, I just broke down, knowing that he won't be calling any of those people again. The phone will have to go back to IGT, after someone copies down some numbers for me. I just can't.
The editorial in the paper was just absolutely wonderful. I called Charlie to thank him and he said that the good ones needed to be remembered. That's for sure, and David Reid was one of the best! And Angie R. has put a plaque above the door at the coffee shop, right next to his hat, that says "Remember David Reid", much like the famous "Remember Duane Allman". In fact, the idea that someone needs to do a new carving on a hill around here has been bandied about by more than one person! Wouldn't David just hoot over that???
And we are now "addressing" the thank you note issue (pun intended). Erica has really gotten down to the actual writing of some of them. Me? Not so much. I am still kind of paralyzed. The life insurance man will be over tomorrow afternoon. The good thing is, he is David's first cousin. The bad thing is, the life insurance has to be dealt with, something that we were hoping wouldn't be necessary for quite a while. But, here it is. I am concerned, needless to say. I am just physically and mentally unable to think about jumping into a job right now. Later, of course, but I need to heal. I did go back to the counselor yesterday, talking about how odd I feel that I am never going to see or talk to David on this earth again. That absolutely hurts my brain to think of that, not to mention the pain that it sends to my heart. And as I told her, I know I am not the first widow ever, nor the last, but this is the first time that I am a widow and it is quite disconcerting. Who knew that the "'til death us do part" would come up so quickly?
And these cats! Does someone want a beautiful, long haired black, fixed, vaccinated cat that needs a good home? The last couple of years has been pretty rough, and I just did what I could to keep these kitties safe and healthy. Well, they are certainly safe and healthy, but now, they need someone to love on them all of the time, not just a couple of minutes a day. So, if you or anybody you know would love a sweet kitty for Christmas, I can hook you up!
Next week we are going to actually try to do Christmas stuff. A woman at the visitation the other night went on and on and on about how this was going to be an awful Christmas, that it was going to be horrible, how it was going to be the worst Christmas ever, blah blah blah. You know, THOSE kinds of people just need to go away, or at least be banned from a funeral home!! And I was kind of captive, with her leaning down and holding on to my arms. PEOPLE! Don't you think I KNOW that this is going to be a pretty upsetting Christmas? But you know what, David would NOT want us go around, tearing our clothes, throwing ashes in our faces, laying down moaning and crying. He would want us to be joyous, praising God, because that is what David will be doing! And it is time to start new traditions in the Reid household. We can do it. It may be as simple as just going to a movie on Christmas afternoon. But it will be what WE do, and we will survive. One thing I have learned throughout this almost four year journey, we are strong people.
But, like yesterday at the coffee shop, I told Daniel how weird it was and he was like, yeah, tell me about it! He said that he wants to say, well that was all good and nice, David, but now come back and let's get back to normal! But that won't happen, will it? The Nosser women gave me, and Christopher and Erica a clinging cross to hold in your hand. I hold that cross and pray for God to give me peace, to take care of David and let him know that we love him. And eventually, I will feel absolute peace. Not yet, of course, but it will come, I have no doubt.
Today we have to go buy the marker for David's grave. This is a Christmas present that I wish I didn't have to buy, but again, there it is. "Beloved husband, father, and friend" is what we are going to have it say. Of course, for the last couple of years, David has been coming up with outlandish things to put on it "when the time comes", but now, since the time got here before we knew it, I don't think he will mind that we are going to go for something a little bit more traditional. As we always would say, he'll get over it!
So, that is the latest from the corner of National and Third. The food has run out, the cakes have dried out and starting to be kind of iffy to eat now. We know we have dishes that need to be returned. If you don't hear from us and brought a dish, PLEASE let me know. Lots of stuff didn't have names on them, so we just don't know where to return them.
And people who have called and we weren't here, yet I haven't returned your call, it is nothing personal. I just can't talk on the phone very much these days. While the kids are here, I am letting them field a lot of the calls, because I am just not mentally up to it. I appreciate your understanding.
That's it for now. Have a great day.

3 Comments:

  • At Wednesday, December 12, 2007, Anonymous Noah said…

    Y'know, I think that if you spoke to the officials around Vicksburg, they might be willing to allow a sort of a more permanent fixture of REMEMBER DAVID REID to go up in exactly the same spot as the Duane Allman sign. If somebody wanted to, they could contact Rolling Stone or Gregg and see if they'd be interested in helping fund such a project.

     
  • At Wednesday, December 12, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    just out of curiousity, what was the most outlandish headstone saying my dear brother came up with?
    I mean...can it be more outlandish than "Claire Annette Reid"for a girl's name??
    i love you guys!
    susan

     
  • At Wednesday, December 12, 2007, Blogger Pam said…

    I hope you aren't feeling any pressure to get all this stuff done.. Girl, take your time! No one is going to be tapping their foot waiting for your thank you notes or wondering why you haven't gone to work yet..Enjoy your kids being home and just take care of You! Let the phone ring and stack the dishes in the corner...if they want them bad enough, they will come get them..Right now is your time and it's Christmas..it might be a balmy 80 degree Christmas, but it's still Christmas! :-)
    I hope you all can make some special new traditions and will celebrate your many cherished past traditions! The rest?? Forget a'bout it!! (said w/a heavy NY accent!)..haha
    Thanks for continuing to post..it helps alot..

     

Post a Comment

<< Home