Tricia Dishes

Sunday, December 16, 2007

The end of an era


Dan Fogelberg died today. For those of you who are not familiar with his music, just know that his voice and words resonated with just about all of us who heard him in the seventies and eighties. One of my early dates with David was to see Dan in the Jackson Auditorium in February of 1974. The album "Home Free" was one of our favorites that we played over and over for several years, along with the album "Souvenirs". In fact, the term "Dan Fogelberg" was our family's "safe" word, you know, if you send someone to pick up your kid and there is one word that they say to let the kid know that it is all right to leave with the person? Yeah, "Dan Fogelberg" was our safe word. Some of his music still stops me in my tracks today, bringing back so many memories of those early days of David and I as a couple. We went to see him everytime he came near and always loved being at his shows.
I discovered that Dan had been diagnosed around the same time that David got his diagnosis. We were concerned about him, but let's face it, we had a big mountain to try to climb, too. Ironically, a week or so before David left us, he asked if I had heard anything about Dan and I told him, no, but I assumed he was doing okay, you know, the "no news is good news" approach. Well, here it is, exactly two weeks since David's death and now Dan Fogelberg is gone. It is so fitting, somehow, that the timing was so close. And wow, the music in heaven just got better!!! Cancer. Such a vile, evil word. Oh, how I wish it could be stopped. It is taking too many good people in the prime of their lives, when they have so much more to accomplish and to give. We have to find a cure. Too many are leaving us, way too many.
So, that is it for this evening. Today, Christopher and Erica and I headed to Jackson to do some Christmas shopping. And yes, it was hard, going to lots of places where David and I had gone, and it was hard, too, knowing I wasn't going to be buying David a present. But we did have a good time, even though my legs and back were slowing me down. And now we actually have presents to wrap and hopefully, I will get in the Christmas spirit. David wouldn't have it any other way.
And, I am tired, but I couldn't sleep, knowing that I wanted to post about Dan Fogelberg and how much he meant to us, so I got up to do so. Maybe now I can drift off, in a world with one less good person in it. I guess I need to play the Dan F. Christmas album now. I hadn't been able to because I was afraid it would upset me. Now I need to hear it to remember and reflect. Like I said, it is the end of an era. It is quite sad, but hope and the future are right out there, waiting for us. We will survive, and be stronger than ever to meet the challenges ahead.
So, go dig out your Fogelberg albums and just sit back and enjoy. And if you don't have any, go buy "Home Free" and hear this man's beautiful music. You will be glad that you did.

2 Comments:

  • At Monday, December 17, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I am saddened to hear of Dan Fogelberg's passing. One of the concerts I went to with you and David was the Fogelberg concert in 1976. My friend, Rochelle Applin (Armstrong) went with us. We had a good time and heard great music!!
    love you lots
    Susan

     
  • At Monday, December 17, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I literally just heard a Dan Fogelberg song on the radio right before I read your posting. It's good to know David has lots of cool cats to rock out to. Take care.
    -Rebecca Rine-Stone

     

Post a Comment

<< Home