Tricia Dishes

Thursday, November 29, 2007

Not the greatest of days

Things in the Reid household are not getting any better, I hate to say. David was so exhausted after his treatment yesterday, and then just became incoherent. We gave him some oxygen, but it didn't get any better. We had a rough night last night, but this morning, he didn't even have the energy to go to treatment. When I called the Cancer Center to tell them that we would not be in this morning, the nurse immediately called our hospice nurse and she was here in a flash. She stayed quite a while, talking to David privately, then talking to us. David has realized that he is not going to get better, and that was very disturbing to him. He has always been so optimistic, even in the face of grave news. But now he feels weaker by the minute, and now the time is even more precious. He can barely stay awake over a few minutes now, and when he has had visitors, he just goes to sleep. The nurse ordered a hospital bed to be brought here so now it is set up in our bedroom. Last night, Erica and I slept in the bed, David was in his recliner, and Christopher slept on the couch near us, but tonight I think we will all sleep in the bedroom. I am not even caring too much what people see when they come in the room. If they care that there are clothes on the floor or dust bunnies in the corners, well, what are they doing here anyway?
And I had my first session with a counselor today. It was good to be able to talk to someone who is removed from the situation, who can offer a fresh perspective to what is going on. It was quite nice, actually, and yes, I cried several times, but I also laughed a few times, too. I go back Monday, if nothing stops me, and I am looking forward to that. It is good.
David asked one of our friends to sing at his service. And then Daniel, one of our best friends and owner of the Hwy 61 coffee shop, came by and offered many words of wisdom to me. He is going to accompany Lee during his song during the service. And the other day when he was more lucid, he asked a long time friend to sing a medley of hymns at the service. Wow. I cannot believe that I am actually talking about my husband's funeral service. It is so surreal. I cannot believe that it is actually happening. Yet, it is and there is absolutely nothing I can do about it.
And y'all, I do not know what I would do without my children. They are so wonderful. They are doing everything to help David, too, especially when I am just paralyzed and cannot move to help him myself. And like we were just talking about, it is making us stronger than we EVER thought we would be. We are doing things we NEVER thought we would be doing. We will not be the same, I am sure. We will now know that we are capable of doing much more than we thought. That has to be for the better.
And family and friends who are coming by are just so caring, so wonderful. Even though David is not able to stay awake to visit long, he knows they are here and it makes him feel so loved. He knows the time is short, he can feel it. It is hard, especially at this time of year, of family celebrations and holiday sights and sounds. But we will survive. Oh, nobody be offended if you don't get Christmas cards this year, I'm kind of busy. I know you understand.
Well, I am exhausted and need to try to get some sleep. Keep praying. God is our strength right now. How could anybody go through this without Him?
Later.

5 Comments:

  • At Wednesday, November 28, 2007, Anonymous Dan Telfer said…

    Today I went to a Starbucks where a friend works. She was sweeping up and looked pretty upset. I asked her how Thanksgiving was and she said not too great- while home in Ohio her family had a meeting and it was revealed that her father not only had cancer, but that it was terminal. He did not have much longer. My friend is going to move back home for at least a few months. Yes, this really happened today. I really didn't know what to say, my own parent's recent passing was heavy on my mind as well as the Reid home. I told her that yes, as awful as this thing is, it's really almost as powerful when you can come together and experience those raw, frightening moments as a family. It's not necessarily a comforting thought, but I told her of my recent loss and what my other friend was going through with her father, and I think it gave her a little bit of strength. I hope it did. Facing these things without shame is the only way to go, no matter how awkward or painful. I'm proud of all of you for facing this. You're inspiring some strength in me when I have to face my own loss. It's complete BS that it's happening, but there's so much love for you all in Chicago and your strength is more vast then you know. I hope you all feel it.

     
  • At Wednesday, November 28, 2007, Blogger Rebecca said…

    Still praying, for sure. I'm so sorry, Tricia.

    --Becca (friend of Erica and Fuzzy)

     
  • At Thursday, November 29, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Tricia, please give David and everyone else in the Reih home a big hug and kiss from the Monteleone's (including Louis). I think about you day in and day out. I wish I was closer to home to hug you myself. God bless. ~Mary

     
  • At Thursday, November 29, 2007, Anonymous Katie's Mom said…

    Tricia, reading your blog makes my heart hurt. I wish I could do something (besides pray) to help. Please give David a hug and kiss for me and know that you ALL are in my thoughts and prayers during this sad and difficult time.

     
  • At Thursday, November 29, 2007, Blogger Mom. said…

    czvgbnerTricia
    My heart goes out to you and your wonderful
    family. You are constantly in our prayers and
    thoughts.

    Please give Erica a big hug from us. (brandi's
    parents)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home