Tricia Dishes

Thursday, June 07, 2007

News about David


So, the shingles are on the march again!! David has been having the sharp pains that he had before we knew what the problem (the original shingles) was, so had already talked about going back to the doctor. But we had chemo today and that was going to tie us up for several hours. Well, the nurse didn't want to give him the treatment because of a new rash that has appeared on the back of David's head, and it is on the same side that the shingles first appeared. I literally, ran over to the internist's office (it is across the street) and talked to the nurse and they would work David in, but they couldn't determine whether or not it would be safe to take a treatment, if new shingles were present. So, here I go, running down the street to talk to the oncology nurse again. She called our doctor in Jackson and he was afraid for David to take the treatment, too. Well, that really got David upset, and because he doesn't want to give the cancer a chance, he was willing to take the risk. Pam, the nurse, and I were not that willing.

Luckily, one of the oncology doctors from Jackson came in and agreed to see David, even though he wasn't one of his patients. He looked at it and said that it didn't look like shingles, but when we described everything, he agreed that it was probably trying to make a comeback. He prescribed the antiviral medicine and said, that unless anything worse happened, David could have his treatment in a week. Pam and I were very glad to hear that, and when Pam thanked him because he wasn't "his" patient, the doctor, Dr. Patel, said he was "ours", meaning all of the doctors and nurses. Which of course, you know, made me cry. I do that a lot.

We went to pay our copay for the doctor visit and there was no charge!! Isn't that nice? David then wanted to go to the coffee shop, but before we could get out of the parking lot, he got very very sick, if you know what I mean, and we just went and grabbed some lunch and came home. I still need to go to the grocery store, but I think I am going to wait a couple of hours before I leave. We got to the clinic at 8:25 this morning - I am exhausted!! You know, from doing nothing all day long!! I honestly don't think I can fight Kroger right now!

So, that's the story. It literally changes here from hour to hour. He had a horrible night last night, I kept having to wake him up because he was having nightmares, and then he was moaning in his sleep. Needless to say, I didn't get much sleep at all. And you know what, I would SO much rather it be a dog keeping me awake than my husband being in such agony. "I am wishing them into the cornfield. I am wishing them into the cornfield."

Later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home