Tricia Dishes

Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Finally, a diagnosis!!


I am too tired to go into every detail of the last few days. Suffice it to say, those days were very frustrating, very maddening, very overwhelming, in our search to find something to help David. Christopher came in last night around 10, which has been a godsend, in many ways. Because David had been in the dark all day yesterday in excruciating pain, I would just go check on him and take him medicine and sometimes a pudding cup or something similar. But when Christopher came in, they turned on a light and David showed him a rash on his head where the pain is. Christopher came running in and asked me to look up "shingles" and I'll be damn, there it was, a textbook description of what David was experiencing. It still involved the trigeminal nerve, which the ER doc said was the problem, but instead of us having to find a neurologist, and I think finding a fire breathing dragon in Mississippi would be easier than finding a neurologist, we now had something that we could go to an internist with, something that could be cured.
And first thing today, I called our doctor's nurse and she said come on in. It's shingles, all right! Now, shingles is not a walk in the park, by any means. David Letterman missed a couple of months of his talk show because of shingles on his face, and now I can so understand why. David is now wearing a pain patch on his head, taking an antiviral medicine, a high powered pain killer, a nerve medicine, and an eye drop because it is close to his eye. I really do think that the pharmacy should just have a special lane open for us! With him having cancer, though, and taking chemo and having a suppressed immune system, we really really have to be vigilant because it can get even worse, and that may not be able to be overcome. And it will take weeks, maybe months for the pain to go completely away, if it ever does. BUT, we have a doctor, we have medicine, we have a diagnosis!!!! And he will not be able to have chemo tomorrow, but if all goes the way it is supposed to go, he will be able to get back on the schedule next week and we won't have taken a step back. He is completely helpless, can barely walk, is still in unbelievable pain, but my hope is that tomorrow he will feel a little bit better and bit by bit, with each dose of medicine, we can come out of this nightmare. I have cried so much in the last few days because of my helplessness, and I cannot believe how absolutely exhausted I am, but I feel so much more optimistic that we WILL get to eventually see the new Spiderman movie IN THE THEATER!!!!!! And the bonus of all of this is, with Erica coming home Saturday and Christopher here, both of my kids will be home for Mother's Day!!! That hasn't happened in I don't know HOW long!!!!! So, yay!!!

Okay, I need to eat something. Thanks for all of the prayers and well wishes. We need them everyday because everyday is really becoming a challenge. I know that the prayer is working.

Have a great Wednesday evening!!

3 Comments:

  • At Wednesday, May 09, 2007, Blogger broadwaybabe said…

    cute cat

     
  • At Wednesday, May 09, 2007, Blogger Pam said…

    Soooo glad you finally know what the problem is! Kudos to Christopher for being so keyed in! I have seen people suffering with shingles and you are so right..it is no party! Please tell David that I am thinking about him and hopefully in a few days the meds will kick in and he will feel better..Keep us informed..

     
  • At Thursday, May 10, 2007, Blogger Dan said…

    Glad to hear a brighter note after that ominous last entry!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home