Tricia Dishes

Friday, September 29, 2006

A beautiful Friday morning

People, people, people, it's 43 degrees outside!!!! It's still September!!!! I LOVE IT!!!!
This has been a fast week. We haven't even been to the coffee shop since Monday, and since it is kind of cold ( for here!), a cup of hot chocolate sounds pretty dang good, doesn't it?? David has to go to Golden Moon today, and I was tempted to go with him, but I really don't feel like riding in the van for that long. So, off he goes.
I am about to go have lunch with my friend, Kathie S. She is off a couple of days this week and just called and now I am waiting for her to pick me up. I am really looking forward to visiting with her. It is such a gorgeous day and I am in a really good mood!! So, fun!!!
This weekend we are going to buy some decorations for Halloween. I love decorating for Halloween, even though in my town, there are going to be letters to the editor about how it is a devil holiday and Christians shouldn't do this, blah blah blah. But you know, we baby boomers used to have a blast at Halloween and it is baby boomers who are now saying about how bad this holiday is!! Come on, people, don't you remember leaving your house right before dark and not getting home for HOURS, having already eaten the homemade popcorn balls and as much chocolate that you shove in your mouth???!? People would have haunted houses that we could go through, and those store bought Halloween masks that had the elastic string, which would break before the evening was over, you would be sweating like crazy (hey, we're in Mississippi!! It was ALWAYS hot at Halloween!) and they had that plastic smell that if I got a whiff of that smell now, I would be magically transported back to childhood! And yes, that was a big ol' runon sentence, but you know what I'm saying, don't you, boomers? My sister, who is 5 years younger, didn't even have the fun at Halloween that I had. I remember taking her trick or treating and there were some people who didn't even have any candy, didn't realize that it was even Halloween!!! Sad, sad. When my kids were little, we didn't live in a neighborhood, so we took the kids to trick or treat with their friends in neighborhoods, and while most people gave out candy, it was now a worry about razor blades and poison and the hospital offered to x ray the candy to make sure it was safe to eat! WTF??? And also, no homemade treats anymore! No popcorn balls, no candy apples, now people were giving toothbrushes and toothpaste and pennies!! Pennies?? SO, I am decorating big time this year and I will have some snickers and some milky ways to give out to the kids. OH, and in our fair city, there have been times that if Halloween falls on a weeknight or, God forbid, a football night, they would "move" Halloween to a more convenient date!! Again, WTF???? So, it falls on a Tuesday this year. Let's hope they keep it there! There were lots of outcries over the moving of the date so I think they will leave well enough alone. I will let you know!
Okay, if anyone thinks I am bad to enjoy Halloween, don't let me know!!! I consider October through December the holiday season and I am really really looking forward to it all!!
Later,
tricia

8 Comments:

  • At Friday, September 29, 2006, Anonymous erica said…

    Remember Jeremy's gross blood capsules and peeling face when he was that dead soldier? I almost barfed. And climbing that big hill in Openwood only to find out that they were out of candy? And going to Nutcracker rehearsal in the choking hands? I miss Nutcracker rehearsal. And Christopher and I would always do bits about "butterfingers" and we would bite each other's fingers. And trick or treating with Melissa and with Sarah. Good times.

     
  • At Friday, September 29, 2006, Blogger wagsandpurrs said…

    Yep, they certainly were! And yes, Jeremy was so gross looking!!! And I was talking about the choking hands the other day, about how all of the older people would ask if your throat was all right!!! Fun, fun, fun!!!!

     
  • At Friday, September 29, 2006, Blogger baldman76 said…

    That's funny. When I thought of trick-or-treating in Openwood, I also immediatley thought of Jeremy's Dead Soldier costume. And yes, it was gross. But it was Hardqore, 'cause that's how Jeremy rolls. I went as Dracula or something lame like that. All the old ladies in the neighborhood were probably like "Did you see that disgusting boy in the bloody army fatigues walking around with that gay little vampire?"

    Alos, when Jeremy and I got a little too old to trick-or-treat, so we hid in the bushes and followed people down the street in Zombie outfits- that was pretty awesome. We seriously freaked a few folks out.

     
  • At Friday, September 29, 2006, Blogger wagsandpurrs said…

    Remember going to the zoo Fright Night and how y'all jumped out at the train? That was fun! I wouldn't mind going over for that again.

     
  • At Saturday, September 30, 2006, Blogger cap'n hardqore said…

    The Dead Soldier costume had to have been my best one ever. I mean, sure I dressed up as the typical storm trooper, zombie masked kid, etc. But the fake flesh and putting in fresh blood capsules so it would spill out of my mouth just as I was asking for candy. Man, that was awesome. I remember Mom applying the fake skin so it covered up one of my eyes.

    But really, when I think of playing around at night, I think of either lurking around Openwood trying to thwart Ricky Sager or hiding out in Reidville while a bonfire was burning. Those were the days.

     
  • At Saturday, September 30, 2006, Blogger wagsandpurrs said…

    Ah, the bonfires. They were so great.

     
  • At Sunday, October 01, 2006, Blogger pinsandneedles said…

    I LOVED the fright night at the zoo. Especially the part when they actually added on another train ride around the park just for us even though the ride had already shut down for the night!! What a fun memory!!!

     
  • At Saturday, October 14, 2006, Anonymous erica said…

    Reidville. How I wish that that was still there so we could go back.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home