Tricia Dishes

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Wednesday

Well, it is so hot here. I mean, I know it is summer and all that but COME ON!!!! I met my friend, Carolyn, for lunch and just didn't have any oomph to go anywhere else when we got through. I guess I am a bad friend! Anyway, I basically came home and crashed in the cool.

One thing that we did do during lunch was look at a 1972 South Vicksburg High School annual. Now, in 1971, they consolidated the schools, so everyone got busted up their senior year. My parents pulled me out of public school after my sophomore year, so at least my class ring had the right school name on it! They changed the name from Cooper High to South Vicksburg, so none of the class rings were right, and they changed Temple High to North Vicksburg, same thing with their rings. And rings were expensive then. I mean, my parents freaked out over paying 47 dollars because I wanted a blue stone and a crest!! And yes, I do know where my ring is, and yes, I didn't wear if after my first year of college. Now, with decades of hindsight, I see why some parents were buying their daughters "cocktail" rings, as they were called. They probably did wear them longer. But, for the record, none of my friends had cocktail rings!!

Okay, back to the annual. Boy, what a difference three and a half decades make (makes?). Some people are still living in Vicksburg, obviously, like our dentist (Don Jackson, Class of '72), the art teacher (Nancy Mitchell, Senior Beauty, Class of '72), and my friend and neighbor (Cheryl Swan, Senior sponsor, Wittiest, cheerleader, you name it, she was it, Class of '72). It was interesting, to say the least. Some people have just disappeared, you know, like D Day in Animal House, "whereabouts unknown", some have shuffled on off of this mortal coil, and some show up at Walmart every once in a while. You know, you look at them and go, hmmmm, do I know them and do I look that old???? Well, since I still can't get this bloggy thing to let me start a new paragraph, I will just sign off for the day. I will be back soon.

2 Comments:

  • At Wednesday, July 12, 2006, Anonymous erica said…

    Well now that you told me the name of your blog I can comment on it!! YAY! Welcome!

    That is just precious about the class of 72!

    Love you!

     
  • At Thursday, July 13, 2006, Anonymous mar said…

    Well, Fuzzy sent me over (well not me exactly, just an open invitation to everyone that reads his blog to come visit you).

    I'm kind of shocked that as a member of the class of '72 you could possibly have kids married and getting married! Hey, I'm from the class of '73 and I know I'm just too youung for that to be possible.

    Congrats on the upcoming nuptials. And enjoy Chicago! It's a great city. (I'm rather fond of this here city - since I was born and raised here and still find it awe inspiring.)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home